Antigone in the Amazon
For Antigone in the Amazon, Milo Rau and his team traveled to the Brazilian state of Pará, where the forests burn due to the expanding soy monocultures and where nature gets devoured by capitalism. On an occupied piece of land, in collaboration with MST (Movimento dos Trabalhadores Sem Terra), the world’s largest landless workers’ movement, they create an allegorical play about the violent devastations and displacements caused by the modern state, which places private property above the traditional right to land.
After the productions Orestes in Mosul in the former capital of the Islamic State and the Jesus film The New Gospel in the southern Italian refugee camps, Milo Rau and his team travel to the Amazon in Brazil to conclude their Trilogy of Ancient Myths.
This performance has been highly praised by critics:
✒ "Not one video that doesn't hit the mark. Not one word that does not enhance the images. Not one movement on stage that does not resonate with the images. The realisation sets in that theatre, when it moves so far out of its comfort zone, makes one experience and understand something that is so much bigger than itself, and than we are."
--- Le Monde (FR)
✒ "It is much, full, inventive, at times radically political and activist theatre, and finally quite depressing (...) Rau has brought the Greek resistance fighter of the past to the present, and turned it into uncompromising theatre art."
--- Volkskrant (NL) ****
✒ “While in circles with politically correct rubbish and cultural segregation, Rau's Antigone in the Amazon is scorned as culturally imperialistic, the evening plunges one into a strangeness that defies any accusation of cultural appropriation. Here, as with Montaigne, it is a matter of self-criticism in conflict. With Rau, this means: art can transcend violence, no matter where.”
--- Die Welt (GER)
- 19 Jul 23 — UBU scènes d'Europe (FR) - 'Sophocles in het tijdperk van turbokapitalisme' (Antigone in de Amazone)
- 19 Jul 23 — WebThéâtre (FR) - 'Antigone in de Amazone door Milo Rau'
- 19 Jul 23 — TV5 Monde (FR) - 'Antigone's "nee" tegen de exploitatie van de Amazone'
- 19 Jul 23 — Aargauer Zeitung (CH) - 'Milo Rau ensceneert de Griekse 'Antigone' met activisten en inheemse bevolking in het Amazonegebied'
- 23 Jun 23 — Valor (BR) - 'De Braziliaanse tragedie die een toneelstuk werd in Europa' (Antigone in de Amazone)
- 21 Jun 23 — Cinemas Utopia (FR) - ''Antigone in de Amazone' de making-of film wordt getoond op Avignon'
- 16 Jun 23 — Le Club de Mediapart (FR) - 'Antigone bij de Sem Terra van de Amazone'
- 15 Jun 23 — TVTHEK (DUI) - '"Antigone in de Amazone" in het Burgtheater" (video)
- 15 Jun 23 — Web Theatre (FR) - 'Antigone in de Amazone: Sophocles' Antigone, dezelfde strijd met de landloze landarbeidersbeweging (MST) in het Amazonegebied.'
- 15 Jun 23 — Journal La Terrasse (FR) - 'Milo Rau sluit zijn Antieke Trilogie af met "Antigone in de Amazone"'