Il Nuovo Vangelo
With Il Nuovo Vangelo, Milo Rau is staging a Revolt of Dignity. Led by political activist Yvan Sagnet, the movement is fighting for the rights of migrants who came to Europe to be enslaved on the tomato fields in southern Italy and to live in ghettos under inhumane conditions.
The director and his team return to the origins of the gospel and stage it as a passion play of an entire civilisation. They go to Matera, in southern Italy, where the great Jesus films by Pasolini and Gibson were shot. Christians, Muslims, Jews, atheists, refugees and Europeans fight side by side for the right of all people to live in legality, self-determination and freedom of movement.
A manifesto of solidarity with the poorest.
A revolt for a more just, humane world.
For where injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty!
I have not come to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it. (Matthew 5:12)
The European idea is coming to an end. A policy of fear, exclusion and exploitation has replaced the principles of freedom, equality and human dignity to which the European Union unconditionally committed itself in its founding treaty.
For the sake of profit, European companies are destroying entire territories, forcing those who live there to flee and thereby creating millions of landless and homeless people. By speculating on land and natural resources and cornering markets, they are ruining the local producers. The victims of this global exploitation are being criminalized.
What is more, European governments cooperate with countries in which people are exposed to torture, slave labor and sex work. They stood idly by while over 30,000 people drowned in the Mediterranean. They accept that in the heart of Europe, millions of migrants are exploited for the production of cheap products. They deny them the right to self-determination, to fair jobs and thereby to the dignity to which all human beings are entitled.
Tolerated by the other member states of the European Union, the Italian Government has now even criminalized the rescue of people drowning. We say: a line has been crossed! We declare:
1. Freedom of movement is a human right. We demand a global right to travel and right of settlement inside and outside of Europe. One travel document for all human beings regardless of their origins!
2. Nobody is illegal. Anyone who sets foot on European soil must, upon arrival, have all rights as laid down in the European founding treaty.
3. All people must have access to adequate housing. Unused infrastructure and abandoned land are public property. We call for the occupation of this space!
4. Everyone has the right to humane working conditions and fair wages without any discrimination. We demand criminal prosecution of all companies that do not respect this principle, including their worldwide supply and production chains.
5. Product prices must reflect the fair value of labor. We object to the consumption of goods which is based on human exploitation – in Europe and throughout the world.
6. Human dignity is the dignity of nature. No more destructive monocultures, fertilisers and herbicides! Food production is not for profit but for the common good of present and future generations.
We declare all regulations and rules that counter the principles outlined here to be invalid. Solidarity instead of exclusion, justice instead of discrimination, sustainability instead of exploitation!
If we do not act now, we are complicit in the ongoing violation of human rights, the resulting calamity of millions and the irrevocable destruction of our planet.
Let us rise, in the name of human dignity and on behalf of the current and all future generations! For when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty!
- 11 Dec 19 — Rai Storia (IT): Reportage tijdens de opnames van "The New Gospel" in Matera
- 6 Dec 19 — Pro Christliches Medienmagazine (DE): Selfie mit Jesus (artikel over "The New Gospel" - met een reportage en foto's van op de set zelf)
- 18 Dec 19 — Mouvement: "À la révolte éternelle, amen" (over Rivolta della dignità)
- 18 Dec 19 — Kath.ch (CH): «Jesus kann in allen Hautfarben und Geschlechtern auftreten» (interview met Milo Rau over "The New Gospel")
- 25 Nov 19 — Collateral Journal (BE): "The New Gospel - Milo Rau & IIPM" (manifest Rivolta della dignità)
- 25 Nov 19 — The New York Times (US): "A Director Asks, Would Jesus Stand With Today’s Migrants?" (article about "Rivolta della dignità" - which appeared on the front page of the New York Times this weekend)
- 20 Nov 19 — Articolo 21:Case della dignità contro il caporalato (over Rivolta della dignità)
- 18 Nov 19 — The New York Times (US): "A Director Asks, Would Jesus Stand With Today’s Migrants?" (over Rivolta della dignità)
- 14 Nov 19 — BlogSicilia (IT): "Biennale arcipelago mediterraneo, la performance del Cristo migrante" (over Rivolta della dignità)
- 13 Nov 19 — Huffington Post (IT): Un Gesù nero a Palermo (over Rivolta della dignità)