Testament van een journalist
Because I stand here on behalf of journalism
on behalf of the written word
because I stand here on behalf of all humanity
because you accuse me of arrogance
because you reproach me with my humility
because you accuse me of hypocrisy
because I pretend to be something I am not
because you recognise that
because you are as lying as I am
because you are as scared as I am
because you are as overconfident as I am
because tonight I am throwing everything
everything I have
all my life
because I have always done so
In a time where no one really understands how our systems work and some might trade human rights for an iPad or a subscription to the Flair-magazine, we are increasingly guided by gossip, perception and gut feeling. Never before has there been such a cacophony of information: everyone is a journalist. Is this the end of journalism?
In the new production Testament of a Journalist, director Chokri Ben Chikha and Action Zoo Humain invites the audience to a last supper to celebrate the end of journalism. At the head of the table sits host and beloved, feared and reviled journalist Hugo Camps. As a symbol of an entire generation of journalists, he says goodbye and opens his will. He looks back one more time and shares his prophecies with his followers, his traitors and the silent crowd.
Come and join us at the table, drink the wine, break the bread and take it in. Amen.
-- This performance was created in collaboration with the late journalist and columnist Hugo Camps, who died in 2022. As Testament of a Journalist continues to gain urgency: news vs fake news, young vs old generation, journalism vs politics, we continue to play this production partly at Hugo's insistence. --
- 26 Jan 23 — Nieuwsblad (NL) - 'Hugo Camps komt tot leven in ‘Testament van een journalist’'
- 26 Jan 23 — Knokke Heist (NL) - 'Hugo Camps' Testament van een journalist in CC Scharpoord'
- 6 May 22 — Etcetera - "Op en top theater" - (recensie 'Testament van een Journalist')
- 18 Aug 181 — Knack - "'Testament van een journalist' wuift op Theater aan Zee een vervlogen generatie journalisten uit" - (recensie ***)
- 26 Jul 21 — De Standaard - "Einde van een journalistiek tijdperk" - (recensie 'Testament'_***)
- 25 Jun 21 — Knack - "Waar is de passie heen?" - (itv Hugo Camps en Chokri Ben Chikha)
IN THE PRESS
All events on this website are organised by Tickets Gent.