A killjoy is a person who deliberately spoils the enjoyment of others. In this creation, Luanda Casella uses Sara Ahmed's concept of the killjoy figure as someone who is ready to denounce violence, even when that requires creating discomfort. In Killjoy Quiz, the pleasant predictability of a television quiz gradually gives way to a much tougher thought exercise.
Participants answer questions. Points are handed out. But what is the meaning of winning a quiz? One might know things about the world, but not necessarily understand the complexities behind the facts one knows.
Killjoy Quiz subverts the idea of scoring points on knowledge by proposing a game where learning how to enter into dialogue is the ultimate goal. Words are powerful and eloquence is a weapon. The cunning multiple choice questions in this production will mercilessly expose a number of our preconceptions.
Luanda Casella is a Brazilian writer and performer trying to rescue the art of storytelling from its mediatised doomed destiny. By examining rhetorical concepts through humor, her work exposes language constructions, exploring unreliable narration in fiction and in everyday communicative processes.
Her work has been shown in venues and festivals around the world such as Spielart (Munich), Edinburg International Festival, Het TheaterFestival (Gent), Kaserne (Basel). With her last solo piece Short of Lying she won the Sabam writing prize at Theater aan Zee (TAZ Oostende).
- 14 Sep 21 — Subbacultcha.be - "I laugh because we’re growing" - (itv Luanda over Killjoy Quiz)
- 26 Jul 21 — Neue Presse (DE) - "Luanda Casella nodigt uit voor de 'Killjoy Quiz' in de Theaterformen in de Ballhof"
- 29 Jun 21 — Bruzz.be - "Pretbedervers slaan gaten in de taal" - (interview Luanda Casella nav Killjoy Quiz)
- 14 Jun 21 — De Standaard - "De Slimste pretbederver ter wereld" - (recensie Killjoy Quiz ****)
- 10 Jun 21 — De Morgen - "Quizmaster legt de gevaren van taal bloot" - (over Killjoy Quiz)
- 7 Jun 21 — De Morgen - "Pijnlijke theaterquiz" - (Killjoy Quiz getipt als een van de beste voorstellingen van het moment)