Familie - Milo Rau
Actors An Miller and Filip Peeters will not only act together as a couple, but for the first time in their career they will be on stage with their two teenage daughters Leonce and Louisa – and their dogs.
Familie is an experiment, an ethnological study of today’s private life, an exhibition of the everyday: on stage we see the house of Family Demeester – or is it the house of the Family Peeters/Miller? Together they will reconstruct the mysterious case of the Family Demesteer, following the journey of their own family, questioning the construction of family as the cell of life and origin of our world today.
Fiction and reality mix, as we see on stage an evening like many in families – just that it is the last one. We watch a family eat, shower, learn English, watch videos. We see them talking to each other about everyday things, making phone calls, listening to music, cleaning up the apartment, remembering moments of their lives. And in this exhibition of the normal, the big questions arise: Why are we here? Why am I here? And wouldn't it be better if we would disappear?
After shooting a new version of the "Gospel" with refugees in South Italy and while staging in the burning Amazon "Antigone" by Sophocles with indigenous activists, Rau and NTGent present with "Family" an intimate look on the Western European middle class.
This performance is not suitable for young people under the age of 16. This performance may contain offensive scenes.
Do you have questions on suicide and do you want to talk about it? Call the free number 1813.
Good news! There are extra tickets available for Familie in NTGent Schouwburg on the 18th, 20th and 21st of July 2020!
Get them now, while you still can!
- 21 Jan 20 — Trouw (NL): 'Nee, wij romantiseren zelfdoding niet' (interview met Milo Rau n.a.v. "Familie")
- 21 Jan 20 — Trouw (NL): Een ogenschijnlijk normale avond eindigt in zelfmoord; ‘Familie’ is een adembenemend gezinsdrama ***** (recensie)
- 9 Jan 20 — The Guardian: “Familie review – Milo Rau's soulful hymn to life on the brink of death” (Mark Fisher) – 5 sterren
- 9 Jan 20 — The New York Times: “Trigger Warnings as a Provocateur Puts Suicide Onstage - Milo Rau’s latest work is inspired by a French family whose members took their own lives”
- 9 Jan 20 — Frankfürter Allegemeine (DE): “Wir haben’s vermasselt”
- 9 Jan 20 — Focus Knack: “ 'Familie' van NTGent: een drama dat gemaakt is om echte drama's te vermijden”
- 9 Jan 20 — De Standaard: “GAAT NTGENT TE VER IN ‘FAMILIE’? - Zelfdoding zonder bezinning “- ✩✩✩
- 6 Jan 20 — Nachtkritik (DE): “Milo Rau en zijn 4 acteurs slagen in een psychologisch buitengewoon dichte enscenering”
- 6 Jan 20 — La Libre Belgique: "Familie", le magnifique mais troublant spectacle de Milo Rau”
- 6 Jan 20 — Le Soir (BE): ““Familles” au NTGent: le scalpel de Milo Rau”